Friday, March 9, 2012

The Beach Day After [Koh Phangan, Thailand]

Our beach!

Last night, we were too busy with the party to enjoy our surroundings very much. But we were staying on a bungalow on the beach! Unfortunately, we didn't get one ON the beach, but it was close! Also, so cheap!

Isn't it beautiful? On my last day of reading week, I just swam in the ocean and had fun in the sand all day. So relaxing.


WOW someone had too much pad thai! Going to hit the gym when I get back!
Our bungalow had this cool hammock!
Don't I look comfortable?

Actually, I have a lot of problems.
'Why are you wearing socks?' is something you might ask. I will address that.

1. Cuts. I was stupid. And I thought I could be adventurous! My friend John climbed up on these rocks in the ocean. Victor and I wanted to get up there too! But we couldn't. The rocks were covered in a lot of sharp barnacles. I didn't even notice that my hands and feet got all cut up until I got to shore and realized there was SO MUCH blood! I'm wearing socks to protect my open wounds.
2. Mosquitoes. I'm so allergic to mosquito bites. They get swollen and super itchy!
3. Sun burn! =( I'm white as a ghost and burn like butter in a hot pan =(
4. I've been having this awful night cough since I got to Thailand. I don't cough at all during the day, but once the sun goes down, I get into fits. It keeps me up at night =(

Such a long list of ailments =( I don't consider myself very prone to accidents or problems, but when its hot and humid, a lot of bad things happen to me!

Anyways, today was our last day. Courtney and I had to be on our way. Actually, traveling back to Hong Kong is a little complicated.

Tonight, we had to take a taxi from our beach to the port city on the island. Then we would take an overnight boat from 10pm to 4am. We'd wait at that port for a few hours before getting picked up to go to the airport, where we'd fly back to Bangkok. And from there, we'd catch our flight back to Hong Kong, and take the A10 bus for an hour back to our lovely hall. PHEW. Even thinking about it again makes me tired.

While we were waiting at the first port city for our night boat, we got some dinner! This is my delicious green curry! Look what they have! TWIST potato!
This is my twist potato!

I also got mango sticky rice, but lost the picture =( It was delicious! The mango was perfect!

My last Thai fruit smoothie!
This is our sleeper boat.

For those of you who get seasick easily, this is not the boat for you.

There are just a bunch of thin cot mattresses all lined up next to each other on the floor. It was quite stuffy in there, until the windows got opened. But then all the passengers came in; everyone on the boat were white tourists just like us. Man, it smelled so bad in there! It smelled like moist humans and body odor. Blergh.
That was not a fun experience. But it was a good one.
Sleeper train = fun. Sleeper boat = not so fun.

Not to mention, I was extremely uncomfortable, being covered in cuts and mosquito bites. I was also covered in sunburn and tried to relieve the pain with some lotion. So on top of being sweaty, I was also sticky with lotion. I was all getting stuck to that nasty cot bed, which was kind of gritty and sandy to boot.

It was a long journey back.

But eventually I got home.

And then I took what was the best shower of my life. It was glorious.

And now I am home =)

No comments:

Post a Comment