Thursday, February 2, 2012

Free Boat Tour! [Dragonboat Practice]

Today I had my first dragon boat practice! =D

I quickly found out that it was water practice when we met at Ap Lei Chau near Aberdeen. People had already gotten there and were just standing by a railing on the sidewalk. I had assumed we were going to walk somewhere to get to the boats...but no, we were already there. I wish I had my camera! We basically climbed on a couple overturned construction buckets to hop over this railing and walked down to the water on this REALLY janky steep wooden stairs (can I even call them stairs? It was just a couple of sparse boards tied together) balanced on rocks, onto a floating wooden palate (like the kind for forklifts) that was tied to a wooden pole jutting out from the rocks. And from there, we boarded the boat. Haha I guess that's our dock! That's how they do.

I went with my new friend Kathleen, who already has experience rowing.
I've been on a kayak once? hahaha! Needless to say, I was very, very n00b with the paddle and splashed myself all over

We started practice around 6pm, so by the time we got out into the water, the sun had already set. But do not fear! Hong Kong has plenty of light pollution, so even out in the middle of the harbour, it was plenty bright.

It was really fun rowing in the dark! All the city lights were bright; all the multi-story buildings twinkling like stars rising high above the harbor. It felt like I was getting a free boat tour around Aberdeen!
We even paddled by the famous Jumbo Floating Restaurant in Aberdeen! It was all lit up too and was very festive and pretty.
We also went by Ocean Park! =D I knew it was Ocean Park because I saw all the escalators and rides, haha!

We ate dinner at this Taiwanese restaurant. Despite my workout, I couldn't finish my mountainous bowl of rice! I felt really bad and wasteful. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment