Friday, January 13, 2012

Adventure Cake!

I started off today sitting in an auditorium for four hours for "non-Local student" orientation. Blergh! Too many powerpoints!!

It started off promising enough, though. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was the big drum on the stage.

They welcomed us with a lion dance performance! Right up my alley! I was really excited.

For those of you who don't know, I've always been mesmerized by lion dance. But growing up, I always thought it was a boy's sport and that I wouldn't ever be able to do it.
But when I went to college, I joined an amazing lion dance team! Since I now practice it, I can better appreciate the performance with a critical eye.

And when I say critical eye, I mean CRITICAL.
My blurry picture of the instruments. They were not loud! Not loud at all!! Not only were they pretty quiet, but they seemed really unenthusiastic and lazy. The cymbals were playing in such a leisurely manner that they'd let the heartbeat get way off beat, so it kinda sounded messy.


The lions were a little sloppy too! Hong Kong, let me tell you I am very disappointed! But this is also probably a student run team, so maybe there's not much discipline. I'm sure I'll see better when New Years finally comes!

After the long-ass orientation, we were served up LUNCH! I was excited by the prospect of free food, needless to say. When we walked over to the Global Lounge to collect our munchies, imagine our surprise when we saw brown bag lunches!

Complete with juice box, apple, and club sandwich! As you can see, the sandwich is mostly bread, with a layer of egg, a layer of shredded lettuce, and a layer of random lunch meat just slapped in there.

After orientation, Jenny and I went to Central to find dessert. Now Central isn't really the area full of restaurants and eateries. Central has SoHo, which is like a really fancy brand name area. And the mall called SoGo (so confusing) which is also full of brandname fashion. And up a little farther are the bar streets.

That being said, Jenny and I couldn't travel much farther so we just settled with a Maxim.
Maxim is a chain-bakery that you will see EVERYWHERE. Especially in subway stations!
They also have a chain of fast food; it's a good never-fails-you place to eat at, even if it's not special.

Jenny and I bought some cakes, took them back to school (where we had some errands to run) and settled on a little bench for a cake-break. We carried the cakes pretty far! They were our adventure cakes.

After all that, I went to Third Great Uncle's house to have dinner. They live in Tung Chung, which is a little far; it took me an hour to get there. I stayed with them at their house for a month a couple summers ago, so I know my way around well enough. Actually, I am very fond of that area.
It's got this suburban feel as far as a suburb so close to the city can get. I don't know if you can call it a suburb since there are still huge high-rises...but it's where all the people live. I'll post some pictures of the place some other time.

The line to get on the bus to the apartment complex! It's where everybody lives, alright.

My first boba in Hong Kong since I got here! This delicious large pearl milk tea cost me HK$12, so about $1.50. So cheap!

I got to my relative's house and by then I was pretty tired. I haven't really adjusted to the time yet.

But oh man! My Third Great Aunt 三叔婆 cooked so much food! I wonder if she always cooks that much or if it's only because they knew I was coming that they bought so much food.


Cute baby! More posts about baby later. He's still really shy, so he just watches me very, very cautiously.

So much good food! After a long day mixed with jetlag, I was really happy to come to a home cooked meal.

1 comment:

  1. For shame! How dare they present you with subpar to below average lion dance! Glad to read you're doing well :D -Shadow King

    ps: WHY THE HELL IS IT SO DAMN HARD TO COMMENT?!

    ReplyDelete