Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cathay Pacific Rocks My World [Flight]

I had flown to Hong Kong quite a few times, and I usually took Cathay Pacific. In fact, the first few times I had flown were international flights, so as a kid, I thought sitting in a plane for 14 hours was the norm. But actually, I prefer these flights over domestic flights.
For instance, you always hear comedians joke about that terrible airplane food, and on a domestic flight, it definitely is terrible. But since my first few flights were on Cathay, I thought "what do you mean?! Airplane food is delicious!" And on Cathay Pacific, it truly is.

Here we have some "Gemelli pasta with white wine cream sauce, spinach, butternut squash and red peppers." The sauce was really tasty, not too heavy, and the little vegetable bits were flavorful, not the overcooked mush I was expecting.
And as a side salad, "Marinated prawns with orzo pasta salad". This was extremely tasty. Every second I was eating it, I was thinking about how DELICIOUS it was. Great way to start off the trip of a foodie!
[Side story: I was a little bit skeptical of this shellfish salad because of my prior experiences. One time when I went to Hong Kong, I took China One Airlines, and long story short, I got food poisoning from eating questionable airplane tuna salad. I felt nauseous the whole flight and even the tuna decided it wasn't fit for my stomach and wrenched itself out. This scared me at the time, because H1N1 was still a big deal. I didn't want them to know that I had thrown up, suspect I had the flu, and quarantine me! But I digress.]

And just when I thought my delicious gourmet meal was sadly all eaten, the stewardess came by with a basked of HAAGEN DAAS ICE CREAM. Yes, they served me an individual sized carton of (pretty classy) vanilla ice cream. It was one thing to eat ice cream on a flight, but they could have easily given us an ice cream brand of lesser calibre. But no, they went all the way.


For breakfast:
Some chicken and mushroom congee: perfect for my sore throat! Cathay Pacific knows just how to take care of me! Also, some blueberry yogurt, fruit, and a blueberry muffin.

I slept most of the flight. Sleeping in a plane isn't really sleeping at all: it's more like a series of short naps, periodically waking up because you're so damn uncomfortable. You'll switch to the left side, only to lean on the right side after the stiffness in your neck wakes you up.

Also, I still have that sore throat, so the inability to swallow and the dryness in my esophagus woke me up every once and a while. I'd ask the stewardess for water, but as airplane-usual they give you this tiny cup that I'd down in an instant. Eventually I got a cup of water and conserved it, taking tiny sips to relieve the dryness everytime my throat woke me up by choking me.

The one comfort I had was this bedroom-eyed whale that I had received as a Secret Santa gift from my friend, and this whale (still unnamed) is the perfect shape to act as a comfortable pillow for my head. But wait, there's more! His adorable tail curls around and makes a perfect neck rest, too. (As my mom discovered) He was my sleeping buddy.

(Yes, I pretended to sleep so I could take this picture)
My seat itself was pretty comfortable. Not only did I have a window seat, but the person next to me (middle seat) never came! That's one less person I have to ask to move when I need to get up to use the bathroom. Also, I used that empty space to keep my computer and when I slept, I gained leg room by stretching out diagonally. It's just easier in general, because I don't have to worry about elbows hitting, or falling asleep on another person, etc.

When I decided to wake up, I watched some TVB dramas that my friend recommended to prepare myself for the Cantonese listening comprehension lesson that my life will soon become. (Oh man, am I excited.)

Welp! I have to put away my computer now, I think my plane will land soon.

So I stand, on the precipice of what is most likely the greatest adventure of my life.

2 comments:

  1. ooh, nice airplane food! :D that really is quite impressive.

    whale~ <3 do him a favor and name him! :)

    i'm glad your flight wasn't too bad! (except for the slight throat soreness, boo to that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAAAAAAAAAAALE!!! Glad he came in handy XD or should I say neck..y?

    ReplyDelete