Monday, January 16, 2012

Taking a Taxi is Cheating! [Aberdeen]

Today my roommate Clarissa and I ventured out into the city to buy housewares! It's about time we make ourselves at home and pick up the last few necessities we need for living.

I think most of the other international students have been buying things at Ikea. (There's an Ikea here?! I've never seen it before!) But as much as I love Ikea, I'm sure there's a more Hong-Kong way to buy housewares. My Third Great Uncle kept telling me to go to "Hong Kong Child" or 香港仔。 I never heard of that I didn't know where that was...so I just typed in "xianggangzi" in Chinese into google, and BEHOLD! 香港仔 is actually Aberdeen! =0 I never knew that, and I've never been to Aberdeen before. (It's at the bottom of Hong Kong Island, way far away from all the MTR stations.

I was ready to take the bus. But Clarissa and our new friend David were "too tired" to walk to the other side of the street to find the bus stop...and insisted on taking a taxi.

*SIRENS* VIOLATION!! Taxi's are cheating! Unless it's night time and you're alone or just really tired, there is no good reason to take a taxi! What a foreigner thing to do to take the taxi here and there. Not only is it more expensive, but where's your sense of adventure?! Where's your spirit to explore and walk?! Needless to say, I was not happy about the taxi. (especially since it cost each of us three times as much.)

But we made it there just fine. And they promised to take the bus back.

Look what we found! A beautifully decorated gate! Quite a gem in the shopping area.

What's this? Pho in Hong Kong? Haha, don't I get enough pho in Irvine? I was a little interested in what pho is like in Hong Kong, but I'm really here to eat the Chinese food! But, if you wanna have friends, you gotta do what the group wants! It was pretty good, but not much like pho. They didn't even have the fresh vegetables and herbs to put in it! =(

My delicious 三色coconut milk drink.

As you can see, I am overburdened with housewares stuff. Look at David and I holding our beloved mops!
Like I said, I've never been to Aberdeen before. But apparently there is a famous floating restaurant that docks here! (I've seen it in all the travel brochures!)

Pretty successful shopping day!

1 comment:

  1. That coconut milk drink looks miiiiighty delicious... salivating at your pictures... again >< hahaha

    ReplyDelete