Thursday, January 19, 2012

The First Shopping Excursion! [Temple Street Night Market, Ladies Market, Mong Kok]

After class today, Jenny, Virginia, and Anthony invited me out to go shopping!

First we went to the Temple Street Night Market. It's special because it's open late at night, but I find they don't have the selection that Mong Kok has. I think this place is more for tourists.


Our friend Virginia haggled the most, using Mandarin Chinese mostly. Sometimes the vendors had a hard time understanding, since people in Hong Kong speak Cantonese most of the time. My friends asked how come I wasn't doing all the haggling since I was the only one who could speak Canto, but I must admit the truth.

I cannot haggle.

First of all, despite my speaking skill, they can see my white, American face. They're determined to suck all the money out of me, so they usually jack up the price for us gullible, gullible tourists.

In addition...I am too excited! They can sense my enthusiasm and desire that I just cannot contain! When I really want it, they can see it on my face! I need to practice pretending like I don't want it, haha. STONE COLD LAURA. By the end, I shall have haggling skills!
While on the plane, I watched an episode of this HK tv show that was about the top 100 food places. One of the foods they mentioned was 鱼肉生菜, or fish meat and lettuce. I had never heard of it or seen it, so I had to try it!
The fish and lettuce was SO GOOD! The fish was really soft and tasty. You better believe the broth was hot and savory! The fish cost me HK$14 and the pearl milk tea was HK$13! Such a great snack for barely $4! I am just constantly amazed by the prices here.

Poor Anthony. He was the only guy in our little group, so you can imagine that he was pretty bored trailing behind us as we shopped. Sometimes while Virginia and Jenny were haggling and fawning over cute purses, I hung back a little to talk to Anthony. He's such a good sport.
We're indecisive! =D


So many neon signs!

The busy streets of Mong Kok!

Mong Kok is a really busy street area with markets and malls on every corner. This is where the locals come, especially young people!

I know for a fact that my "cousin" Bonnie comes here every weekend to buy clothes and 唱K!


Mong Kok has a lot of street performers!

And delicious street food!
Nothing is better on a cold day than a hot roasted sweet potato!

Even after all that street food, we wanted to eat something substantial. We were hungry and our feet were tired, so we settled on this random street restaurant since it was cheap enough for us.

Again, I couldn't read what was important on the menu. I knew this dish had pork chop and rice, but that's all I could get from it. This restaurant had Thursday specials, and I asked the waiter which of them was the most popular. He said #6, the pork chop. I did not get what I expected!



This pork chop and rice was actually covered in tomato sauce and cheese! While it was not what I expected, it was delicious! I actually really like to eat this kind of thing. It cost HK$29, which is almost $4. This is the kind of thing I like to eat in Hong Kong especially; it is a true fusion of Eastern and Western foods. And so delicious to boot!
Famous dessert place!Mmm mango sago!

I think the person I miss the most would be my brother, Alex. A lot of times I really wish he was here. This is our town! I remember how much fun we had together last time we were in Hong Kong together, going to Mong Kok everyday to walk around. We enjoyed the citylife, while trying different boba places and getting lots of mango desserts! It was perfect, because we wanted the same thing from Hong Kong.
I don't think the other international students have the same kind of awe and amazement for the city like we do. They just don't understand.

They don't understand how I'm in love with this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment