Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lazy Sunday

Today I stayed in; I've been out and about since I got here and haven't really had a chance to unpack and settle in. Plus, I'd just like some rest!

But I needed food eventually.

I was too tired to really call anybody out, so I went on my own adventure. I just took the bus down to the school, the "Mid-Level" district. I'm actually semi-familiar with this level since one of my mom's best friends lives there.

It was raining, and I didn't bring an umbrella. Smart, right? I was wandering down the street, but it was Sunday night so some things were closed. Worst comes to worst, I knew there was a McDonald's on the street, but I was determined not to settle!

I was warm enough, and not wet enough to be bothered, but oh man was I hungry. I wandered down an alley until I met a cross-street.
I looked left, I looked right. Which way to go?

But then I saw it! The warmly lit sign that said 麵 noodles!

Okay, I'll admit, in this picture, the sign isn't lit. Can you see it? I took this picture after I walked out. I guess I walked in right before it closed up.

After coming to Hong Kong, I realized just how bad my Chinese reading skills are. There were a few times when the menu was in Chinese. I can read enough, but it's slow. I know the really important stuff...like "beef" and "noodles." But all the things on the menu were "beef" and "noodles!" They must have been different kinds of beef or different cow parts, but I could read it. So I just asked the owner what the best one was and ordered that.

Mmm 叉烧麵! (Cha shu mien)

It was actually pretty good. That hot noodle soup was just what I need on a rainy Sunday night.

After that mini-adventure, I returned into my cave.

I was choosing my classes (enrollment is tomorrow!) when I heard a knock on the door.

Ahh! It was my next door neighbor, delivering treats from her hometown in China! So nice!

It was a kind of cookie, and it was REALLY good. I loved it!

With it, I drank some guava juice. Mmm what a good snack!

I'll try to keep my blog updated! I need to remember to take more pictures. I've been so many times that I don't feel the need to take pictures of everything since I've seen it before...but when I leave I know I will regret it! I have to renew the spirit of awe that I once felt when I first came to Hong Kong. I'm in love with this city, aren't I?

I'll also try to take more pictures of daily stuff. I really want to capture what life is like here and I'd like to explain the different cultural aspects I run into.

No comments:

Post a Comment