Monday, January 23, 2012

Gung Hay Fat Choy Part 1: Fireworks [Chinese New Year, Hong Kong]

Happy Chinese New Year!
新年快樂! (Happy New Year)
恭喜發財! (Good luck and prosperity!)
身體健康! (Be healthy!)
萬事勝意! (Hope everything goes well!)




We ate this on New Year's day. They are sweet, sticky cakes. This is 年糕 (nian gao) and 馬蹄糕 (water chestnut cake). Very traditional things to eat for new years!I don't know how to describe the texture...it is very dense, sticky, and chewy. Chinese like this texture but some people might find it offputting.

The excitement for New Years is mounting! So many stores are selling good luck decorations of red and gold. Seeing those stores on the streets seems so bright and happy! Just seeing all the red and gold makes my heart feel happy!
Everyone's houses and doorways are overburdened with decorations saying new year's greetings and showing cute pictures for longevity and prosperity.
The whole town is dressed up! There's so many lights and decorations everywhere!


Even the buildings are all dressed up!
We went to the flower streets in search of flowers! Look at how many people are buying flowers too!
My mom always told me stories about when she was young and living in China. New Year's was a really, really happy occasion. Not only did they feast and get to eat foods that they normally cannot eat (now we are so lucky, you can eat anything all the time! But back then, sometimes it was hard to get meat and they very rarely got the opportunity to eat sweets), but this was the one time of the year that got new clothes! They would get new clothes and shoes and put it under their pillow until new year's day; like putting Christmas presents under the tree! But my mom always said the happiest thing is going out to buy flowers and bringing them home.

I wanted a chance to experience this happy feeling! I am carrying some flowers home to my Great Uncle's house, so pretty!



Mm this is my 叉烧麵 (bbq pork noodles) from a 茶餐厅, (tea canteen) a very popular kind of restaurant in Hong Kong. Doesn't it look tasty?
The day after new years, the city of Hong Kong put on a fireworks show. We tried our best to leave early, but I guess it wasn't early enough. As you can see, we're behind a lot of people. You can still see Hong Kong's beautiful skyline!
Fireworks are high in the sky, so you can see it from anywhere, but I can only imagine how beautiful it would've been if we were in the front row, with nothing but the water and the skyline in front of you, the fireworks bright and large above the vast emptiness of the bay.

Haha look at all the things obstructing my view! That is the Tsim Sha Tsui clock tower.






After being out in the cold to see the amazing fireworks, we came home to hotpot! Nice and warm and delicious!

So far, the new years in Hong Kong wasn't too eventful. I think a lot of people go to mainland to visit relatives for the new years.

After the fireworks, we quickly went home to 拜 (i think that is the right character...) or pray. We were burning incense and paper "gold bars" ...indoors...inside the apartment... I, for one, was very scared. I thought the fire alarm would go off or their very crowded apartment would catch on fire since it's a fire hazard. I wanted to take a picture for you guys, but this isn't really a picture appropriate thing.
They had a little home shrine with buddha figures, pictures of ancestors, fresh fruit, and incense. Additionally, we set up a little table in front of it, with three tiny shot-glass sized cups with rice wine in them, with three pairs of chopsticks. Also, we put out food like glass noodles, barbequed pork, and more fruit. We'd each get a couple sticks of incense and pray for good luck in the new year. This is very traditional and important; my family does this at home every Chinese new year too.

I haven't seen any lion dance yet =( But I've heard that it's usually businesses and malls that commission them...so it would be hard to predict or find them. I guess I'll just have to hope I'll get lucky!
I should have bought some lion figures/puppets when I was at flower streets for new years! But it totally slipped my mind! now I probably will not be able to find it... =((

There was a new years parade, but I had heard it wasn't too good/mostly for tourism, so instead I stayed in with my relatives with a warm hotpot and watched it on TV. Better than being cold outside standing for a long time!

While Hong Kong is pretty quiet for new years...the fun is yet to come! =D

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear you're doing well! Start listening for the drums :D We miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete