Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The HKU System

Today started out with another morning adventure. Walking down to collect breakfast, I passed by a place that read 蛋卷 cookie egg roll!
So far, my ability to read Chinese has only helped me identify food places from the signs sticking out into the street. However, it doesn't work on menus, because I don't know enough vocab to cover all bases. (For instance, the time I went to that noodle place and there were 10+ items that had the word "beef" and "noodles" in it, but I couldn't read anything distinguishing between them.)


The plastic was extra tough! I had to stab it all over to get into it. The bag was still warm when I got it! =D So fresh!

After picking up breakfast, I was too ravenous to make it back up the hill to eat it as I had planned...so I stopped to get a mini pineapple bun on the way. Mmm so delicious! The pineapple buns are so much softer than the ones in the States; I don't know how they do it! Also, this was 3 for HK$1. SO CHEAP! I bought the threesome and took the other two home...of course they were all mushy by the next day! But still delicious.
This is my breakfast! 炸两! It is a "chinese donut" 油条 wrapped in a rice noodle and covered in some thick savory sauce. He also put some hot sauce on it so it was extra tasty! So how much did this large box of noodles cost me? (In fact, I could only eat half of it, and ate the other half for lunch later in the day.) HK$7! Wow! There is a perfect Canto expression for something so cheap and delicious but I wouldn't know how to romanize it or type it, haha! That's barely $1 for breakfast and lunch. SOOOO cheap.
I lugged my breakfast all the way back to campus just so I could eat it with the nice view in a relaxed area. Looks pretty out, right?

After my delicious breakfast, I went to my two classes.
Did I mention that HKU classes meet usually only once a week, for a two hour class?

My first class was about HK cinema, so needless to say it was really interesting. But boo hoo, I got dropped from the class =( I guess it was too full, so they gave priority to local students. I've been trying hard to add it back, but I don't know if it's happening.

My second class was a little boring. The teacher had a hard time speaking English and even asked the class if it would be okay if she taught in Mandarin. Uh, no! I can understand some, but not if they talk fast, and ESPECIALLY not specialized vocabulary. I'm not willing to bet my grade on it, that's for sure. Plus, there are a lot of HK students who don't understand Mandarin either, depending on their education. This school is supposed to use English, as a policy, so it wouldn't be fair at all.

A lot of the international students complained about the professors making small jokes in Cantonese during the lecture, making the local students laugh but leaving them feeling lost. They perceived this as extremely rude, but I thought it was understandable. I mean, it happens.
However, what I'm about to tell you, is downright rude.
During my second class' break, a student went up to the professor and straight out said "Don't worry, after the add/drop period is over, the exchange students will be gone and you can teach in Chinese." >=( That is MEAN! Way to make us feel very unwanted.

For this being such a famous school, the system is really backwards.
For example, the registration for the discussions is not with the enrollment...In fact, in one of my classes today, the professor put sign-up sheets for various times on one table at the front of the lecture hall and ended class by telling us to have at it. You can only imagine the rush to the front of the room! It was almost barbaric; there was so much pushing and struggling.
Also, the system is not integrated. I needed to apply for a separate student id, gym card, insurance, housing etc. and I had to give them each passport photos! So annoying! why can't they just have my photo on file and share it? Better yet, let my student ID card access everything!
I met some friends in between classes at Starbucks. We actually get a student discount! So this Honey Orange Macchiatto only cost me HK$18, which is about $2! Wow so cheap! Also I got to eat this tasty Chinese special flavor!

A wild and crazy night is to follow my already busy day, so just sit tight for more pictures and a longer post!

No comments:

Post a Comment